Are you interested in a career in medical billing and coding?
MedQuest College now offers a Health Information Technology program at their Louisville, KY campus that gives you the knowledge and hands-on skills to become a medical records specialist.
Medical records specialists, also called health information technicians organize and maintain health information data for doctor’s offices, hospitals, and clinics.
As a medical billing and coding specialist, your responsibilities might include:
- Acting as medical billing coordinator for a particular office or medical facility
- Assigning medical billing codes to patient information for medical insurance reimbursement
- Checking health records and data for accuracy
- Consulting with physicians and nurse practitioners on patient information
- Maintaining medical database with patient medical history, test results, physician exams and treatments
- Organizing health information on paper and electronically
As an experienced medical billing specialist, you can expect the demand for your services to increase in the coming years. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of health information technicians is projected to grow 13 percent from 2016 to 2026—faster than the average for all occupations. The demand for health services, including medical billing specialists, will only increase as our country’s population ages.
You can become a health information technician at MedQuest College—our ten month program includes 160 externship hours for hands-on, real-life experience in medical coding and medical billing. MedQuest offers small class sizes and a supportive atmosphere to help you reach your goal. Through your program, you’ll learn to complete a resume, develop a professional portfolio, and practice interview skills, so you’ll be career ready when you graduate.